Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Chapter 16 & 17

Chapter 16: Questions for Discussion and Further Research

1.) Abraham's essay agreed with Tannen's because they both were studying the patterns of speech.  Even though Abraham was looking at Black Speech, and Tannen was just looking at the speech of female and male.

2.) They use rhymes just in regular conversation like Abraham said the saying "See you later alligator, for a while crocodile" or they'll use it as comebacks like "what I said cabbage head".

3.)  He's saying that its a lower way of speaking, because they learned it when they were children and they still use it.

4.)  Well, apparently people are saying that it is considered black speech, which I had never even thought to relate it to.

5.) Cannot think of any right now, but I'll add some if I think of any.

Chapter 17: Questions for Discussion and Further Research

1.) I do agree, I think people are starting to see how much more important it is to incorporate the different races and how it is more interesting if we do.

2.) I'm not sure if I understand what she means by the "otherness".  I think she means the other races other than white but I'm not completely sure. 

3.) Commodifying otherness:  

4.) It brightens things up, it makes things more interesting, and without the "spice" it is not viewed as interesting.

5.) I don't want to agree with her, but it seems natural to think that way. I don't like that people think this is a "white suprematist capitalist patriarchy" but it just seems that is what surrounds us.

6.) She thinks that there could possibly be some resistance to inviting the "other" and that it is a big possibility but if we do invite the "other" than it could be a critical interevention.

No comments: